Universita per Stranieri di Siena
THIS PROGRAM IS APPROVED BY THE ITALIAN STUDIES DEPARTMENT.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT PROFESSOR SICA, CHAIR OF THE DEPARTMENT.
University for Foreigners of Siena - The University for Foreigners of Siena is a public university specialized in the teaching of Italian as well as many other languages. It also specializes in scientific research on the diffusion of the Italian language and culture in the world and in contact between Italian and other languages and cultures.
Degrees and Certifications Offered
• Undergraduate Bachelor’s Degrees (Three years)
• Postgraduate Master’s degrees (Two years)
• One-year postgraduate non-degree courses (Master level I and Master level II)
• Postgraduate studies
• Ph.D studies
• Italian language and culture courses for foreigners
• Training, refresher and specialization courses for teachers
• E-Learning and distance education
• Certifications for language learners and teachers
All of the undergraduate degree courses, master’s degrees, master programmes, postgraduate schools and certifications of teaching competences are open to Italian and foreign students. They include courses in teaching and promoting Italian language and culture, linguistic and cultural mediation and translation in the tourism business. The Italian language and culture courses are intended for foreigners, who may also sit the Certificate of Italian as a Foreign Language (CILS) exams.
At the University for Foreigners of Siena you can learn European languages including English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan, as well as non-European languages such as Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian and Korean to become a professional in the tourism, translation, economics, legal and sociological fields. Coursework offered includes Art History, Music, IR, Environmental Studies, Economics, Italian Studies. Students should have a minimum of 2 semesters of Italian but if they have more, then more courses would be accessible to them. Upon arrival students take a placement test to define their linguistic level.
The university has received the European Label for Languages eleven times, from 2004 to 2018. This is an award given by the European Union for language projects that have promoted the teaching and learning of languages through innovation and effective teaching practices, encouraging awareness of European linguistic heritage and motivating citizens to pursue multilingualism throughout their lives.
In addition, the University has obtained the UNI EN ISO 9001:2008 certification for the Italian language courses, CILS and DITALS certifications. This certification guarantees quality and reliability for all students.
Why study at the University for Foreigners of Siena?
• Because it is an international university with students from all over the world.
• Because it provides a supportive environment for learning Italian and other languages.
• Because it promotes the international mobility of students.
• Because it is committed to providing scholarships for foreign students.
• Because it is committed to providing placements abroad for students on degree courses.
• Because it is located not only in a safe city but also in one rich in culture.
Housing and Facilities
University residence halls are around various parts of the city- usually within a 10 minute bus ride or 20 minute walk. Students are placed in a double room with bathroom.