ASHESI UNIVERSITY EXCHANGE PROGRAM
Ashesi University is a coeducational institution whose goal is to educate African leaders of exceptional integrity and professional ability. By raising the bar for higher education in Ghana they aim to make a significant contribution towards a renaissance in Africa. Ashesi is the first university in Ghana to adopt and blend a Liberal Arts education with majors in Computer Science, Management Information Systems and Business Administration. The university is an independent, private, not-for-profit institution.
The university, which began instruction in March 2002 with a pioneer class of 30 students, has quickly gained a reputation for innovation and quality education in Ghana. Since their founding in 2002, Ashesi has established a reputation as a leader in undergraduate education in Africa, with an educational experience that fosters ethical leadership, an entrepreneurial mindset and the ability to solve complex problems. These qualities are what set Ashesi students and alumni apart. Across various industries today, Ashesi graduates are highly sought, and over 90% have stayed to work for progress in Africa.
At the heart of the Ashesi experience is their interdisciplinary core curriculum, and the campus culture. Ashesi students come from 24 countries across the globe to learn, live and innovate together; almost half are on scholarships, and 48% are women. Ashesi’s unique academic program blends the liberal arts and Africana studies with professional fields such as business administration and computer science. From cultural classes in Africana studies, to courses in economics, creative writing and design, Ashesi provides an opportunity for international students to experience and reflect upon a wide array of issues and ideas that have shaped Ghana and the world.
Students will live on the Ashesi University campus in shared rooms. The university provides housing options as part of the effort to enhance the educational experience of its students. By increasing opportunities for teamwork, enabling closer friendships and serving as a microcosm of a well-ordered community, dormitory life serves as an important venue for each student's personal growth.
To learn more about Ashesi University: http://www.ashesi.edu.gh
The Conn Exchange:
Beginning fall 2018, Connecticut College students are eligible to apply to this unique opportunity to experience life and learning in Ghana.
- Spots are limited to 2-3 students each semester
- Unlike most study away programs, books are included, along with room and board and some excursions.
- Students must cover the cost of flights and Visa to Ghana separately.
- Students will be connected with a “host” family, for outings and special events off campus, as well as a student buddy who can help while on campus
- Computer Science and Economics majors are especially encouraged to apply!
How to Apply:
- Students must submit an internal application through the Study Away website
- Complete the Ashesi application process which includes an online Skype interview
- If selected into the program students are required to attend a mandatory on-campus pre-departure training developed for this program.